View only pushpins from entities filtered ?

Jan 4, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Hi There,

GREAT tool !

I have modified the xml to include a second entity, which successfully displays both entities pushpins on the map.

However, when a filter is selected (eg "Account"), how can I only display the "Account" pushpins and not the pushpins from the other entities ?

Jan 7, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Edited Jan 7, 2013 at 12:19 PM

It is not possible currently to conditionaly load only one entity records. Filter gets applied to the corresponding entity only and other entities remain un-affected.

I think the color of pushpins helps here to differentiate between records and is sufficient. Let me know your scenario in a generic way, if you feel strong about allowing this configuration

Thanks,

Atul 

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Thanks Atul,

my scenario is I have many accounts and many cases I need to map (heatmap would be great too :-) )

what I am looking for is when I select the Cases, only those pushpins appear

when I select Accounts, only accounts appear

Assigning multiple colours does not work as an account has a case associated, thus multiple pushpins would be centered at the same lat/lon, thus not giving the correct colour pushpin - and not allowing the user to drill-through to the account or case.

I guess my best option would be to copy the code to a separate web resource in CRM, then have a map only for accounts, and a separate map only for cases ?

(This will also expand to "Orders", "Opportunities", and some custom entities)

Please let me know your thoughts

thanks,

Brad

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:04 PM

If your scenario is heat-map, I suggest to investigate if bing-maps(Silverlight control) allows other types of pushpins. Current pushpins size is too big for heat-maps.

Regarding:

Assigning multiple colours does not work as an account has a case associated, thus multiple pushpins would be centered at the same lat/lon, thus not giving the correct colour pushpin - and not allowing the user to drill-through to the account or case.

Even if you have pushpins of same color(say, only of case) then also they are going to be layered on each other for the same lat-long(or when lat-long is empty). And you will be able to click only the top-most. But I get your point that other pushpins interfere in representing heat-maps by overlapping.

One option for the user could be to apply random in-valid filter on all other entities so that there records doesn't appear. Although depending on number of entities, this could be tedious and not very intuitive.

As you mentioned, your best option would be to create different configuration file for each entity type. You can just easily mention these config file names in data parameter to bing map web resource and it will pick that configuratio file to render against.

I'll see if I get some time to add this functionality. But don't wait for that :).

Thanks,

Atul

Jan 7, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Thanks Atul....

Yea I'm looking at Silverlight heatmaps as well, but that's more Phase 2 for me :-)

I'll work on separate maps for separate entities (accounts, cases, etc)

thanks again - Excellent job on this !

Brad

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Hi Atul

I tried to pass a parameter as noted in http://mapsforcrm2011.codeplex.com/discussions/255666 but it didn't work.

Am I missing something ?

I need a way to create 2 instances of the map - One for Accounts, one for Cases (with potential of more)

Thanks again

Brad

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Makre sure you provide the logical name of xml type web resource. For example, for OOB BingMapConfig web resource, you need to provide: "new_BingMapConfig.xml" (quotes just for clarity). I guess you can get this name from url field in Web resource record form.

Jan 23, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Thank you again - its working great now.

Brad